How i discovered the best kept secret in baja and fell in love
Here is a quick quiz. Can you guess where this place is based on these hints?
- This town sits on the shores of a protected marine park with 5 islands.
- It is the home of six species of whales.
- It is a Unesco World Heritage Site
- It is the home of the #4 Best Mexican Beach for 2016 according to the USA Today Reader’s Choice Awards.
- It was voted as the Best Mexican Cruise Port by Holland America cruise passengers.
- It has a first class international airport.
- The first mission of the California’s is the centerpiece of this town.
- The town is one of Mexico’s Pueblo Magicos.
- It was founded in 1697 by Jesuit missionaries.
Those of you who know Baja, most likely know the answer, but my guess is that most of you have no idea of where this place is. This is why Loreto is still the best kept secret of southern Baja. The fact that Loreto has remained unknown to most of the world, has protected it from being overrun with huge tourism projects. Today it remains a small Mexican town of about 15,000 people in a stunning location.
My love affair with Loreto started ten years ago as a vacation to visit a location in Mexico I had never seen. Over the years I had visited many of the tourist sites in Mexico, and though most were interesting and beautiful, none of them had the welcoming feeling that I experienced upon my arrival in Loreto. Loreto still today welcomes people with open arms. You immediately get the feeling that you are not a stranger. Walking along the beautiful beachfront malecon, locals and visitors alike will stop to say “Hola”.
Sometimes I find it hard to believe that Loreto really exists. Rereading the bullet points above, how can a small town be all those things? The answer is that the people of Loreto love their town and are passionate about maintaining its charm while opening their doors to visitors from around the world. Those who have been lucky enough to discover Loreto, whether it is for a few days or like me, who decide to create a home here, have the opportunity to experience amazing things.
The abundance of outdoor activities available in Loreto is incredible. Every day can be a new adventure. Boating, sport fishing, scuba diving and snorkeling, swimming, kayaking, hiking and whale watching to name a few. There is something for everybody in every season.
Loreto may be the best kept secret of Baja, but we are anxious to share it with you. Getting here is easy too. With flights, some daily, from the US and Canada, there is no reason to wait to visit us. We will be waiting for you with open arms.